Survey of India, The National Survey and Mapping Organisation of the country under the Department of Science & Technology, is the oldest scientific department of the Govt. of India.
Enrich Your Learning:
Why in News?
- Government has released a new map of India showing UTs of Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh.
- The Survey of India has redrawn the map of India to depict the newly formed Union Territories (UT) of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) and Ladakh.
- Areas such as Gilgit, Gilgit Wazarat, Chilhas and the Tribal Territory of 1947 that have been occupied by Pakistan are included in the Ladakh UT.
About Survey of India:
- The Survey of India is India’s central engineering agency in charge of mapping and surveying.
- Survey of India (National Survey and Mapping Organisation of India) under the Department of Science & Technology, is the Oldest Scientific Department Of the Govt. Of India.
- First modern scientific survey of India” was undertaken by W. Mather in 1793–96 on instructions of Superintendent of Salem and Baramahal (TN), Col. Alexander Read.
- Set up in 1767 to help consolidate the territories of the British East India Company, it is one of the oldest Engineering Departments of the GoI.
- Its members are from Survey of India Service cadre of Civil Services of India and Army Officers from the Indian Army Corps of Engineers.
- It is headed by the Surveyor General of India.