Enrich Your Learning:
Tianwen-1 Mars rover mission:
Why in news?
- China launched its first Mars mission ‘Tianwen-1’ which is expected to land on the Red Planet’s surface in the first quarter of 2021.
About Tianwen-1 Mars rover mission:
- It will be the first mission to place a ground-penetrating radar on the Martian surface.
- It will lift off on a Long March 5 rocket, a launch system developed by the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technologyfrom the Wenchang launch centre.
- It will carry 13 payloads (seven orbiters and six rovers) that will explore the planet.
- The success of the mission will make China the third country to achieve a Mars landingafter the USSR and the United States.
- It will search the Martian surface for water, ice, investigate soil characteristics, and study the atmosphere.