Answer: Central Reserve Police Force
Enrich Your Learning:
Central Reserve Police Force:
- It is India`s largest Central Armed Police Force.
- It has a sanctioned strength of more than 300,000 personnel.
- Functions under: Ministry of Home Affairs.
- The CRPF came into existence as Crown Representative’s Police on July 27, 1939.
- It became the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) on the enactment of the CRPF Act on December 28, 1949.
- To enable the government to maintain the rule of law, public order and internal security effectively and efficiently.
- To preserve national integrity and promote social harmony and development by upholding the supremacy of the Constitution.
- The CRPF’s primary role lies in assisting the State/Union Territories in police operations to maintain law and order and counter-insurgency.
- It provides security services during elections.
- Some CRPF contingents were part of the United Nations Peacekeeping Force.
- Apart from anti-Naxal operations, CRPF personnel also carries out several operations in situations of crisis like terrorist attacks, counter-terrorism operations, rescuing citizens during terrorist attacks and among others.