Solution & Enrich Your Learning:
Important ways of Virtual Reality that is Transforming Healthcare:
- Medical VR is an area which has endless and fascinating opportunities. It is one field which has not only excited the fans of science fiction, but has also moved the lives of scientists and medical professionals across the globe.
- Though VR in healthcare is still in its initial stages, it has already proved to be highly advantageous, with a variety of healthcare applications that have positively impacted physician’s work and patient’s life. Some of the key ways in which VR is improving healthcare are listed here:
Superior Surgery Training:
- Training for surgeons is usually carried out on cadavers followed by assisting senior doctors before taking over bigger portions of the surgery.
- But with VR, this process can be sped up and the time needed for young surgeons to perform real surgeries can be drastically reduced.
- VR in healthcare can now provide ample amount of practice to surgeons without posing any risk to real patients.
- Exposure therapyis a type of cognitive-behavioral therapy that is used to treat a variety of anxiety-related disorders, including phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorder, social anxiety disorder etc.
- Exposure therapy is one of the methods to treat patients with phobias. VR is being increasingly used by physicians and medical professionals to treat such individuals.
- Pain is one of the most excruciating feelings experienced by patients. Medical researchers have been finding new ways using VR to treat sharp pain, particularly for burn victims. Distraction therapy using VR is the new method of treating patients with such extreme pain.
- There are certain VR games developed to distract patients undergoing painful treatments, such as physical therapy and wound care, by overwhelming their senses and pain pathways in their brain.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Treatment:
- VR is put to use to treat soldiers suffering from Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Clinics and hospitals are using virtual simulations caused during the warfare to treat soldiers who are still reliving the traumatic events of the past.
- Here, the patients are exposed to realistic and immersive scenes, which trigger fear and anxiety in them. They are then guided through the scene to cope up with the situation in which they are placed. The patients are also equipped with methods to deal with such trauma in a controlled and safe environment.
Brain Damage Assessment:
- Recently, CyberPsychology & behavior, a journal for understanding the psychological impact of social networking practices, has published consolidated VR experiences, which not only assess impairments but also retreat them.
- Scientists have created virtual reality experiences which make the patients get out of a building using doors of different colo Such methods can assess different levels of the patient’s brain damage and help in further rehabilitation.
Phantom Limb Pain Treatment:
- Phantom limb pain is one of the common issues with people who have lost a limb. People without a limb often feel that their fist is tightly clenched and are not able to relax.
- Such consistent discomfort may result in a sharp, excruciating pain. Scientists have now come up with VR games, which help patients using virtual limbs to and complete certain tasks.
- These games also help them gain control of their limb and relieve the feeling of painfully clenched fist.