- President can resign from his office at any time by addressing the resignation letter to the Vice President.
Enrich Your Learning:
About term of President of India:
- The President is elected for a term of five years, but even after the expiry of the term, he/she may continue to hold office until his/her successor enters the office.
- There is a provision for the re-election of a person who is holding or who has held the office as President.
- Impeachment to be adopted by a special majority of votes in both the Houses of Parliament.
- As provided in the Constitution, in the event of the occurrence of any vacancy in the office of the President, the Vice President acts as President until the date on which a new President is elected and enters upon his/her office.
- But the Vice-President can act as the President for not more than six months.
A vacancy in the office of the President may be caused in any of the following ways:
- in the event of his/her death.
- if he/she resigns.
- if he/she is removed from office by impeachment.