- The ‘SAGAR’ vision’ is a clear, high-level articulation of India’s vision for the Indian Ocean.
Enrich Your Learning:
SAGAR (Security and Growth for All in the Region):
- SAGAR has distinct but inter-related elements and underscore India’s engagement in the Indian Ocean.
- Security is fundamental to the ‘SAGAR’ vision.
- Enhancing capacities to safeguard land and maritime territories & interests;
- Deepening economic and security cooperation in the littoral;
- Promoting collective action to deal with natural disasters and maritime threats like piracy, terrorism and emergent non-state actors;
- Working towards sustainable regional develop-ment through enhanced collaboration; and,
- Engaging with countries beyond our shores with the aim of building greater trust and promoting respect for maritime rules, norms and peaceful resolution of disputes.
The principles enshrined in SAGAR provide us with a coherent framework to address some of the challenges relating to economic revival, connectivity, security, culture and identity, and India’s own evolving approach to these issues.
The challenge before India is to ensure intra-ocean trade and investment, and the sustainable harnessing of the wealth of the seas, including food, medicines and clean energy.