- The objectives of NCDC are planning and promoting programmes for production, processing, marketing, storage, export and import of agricultural produce, foodstuffs, industrial goods, livestock and certain other notified commodities and services on cooperative principles and for matters concerned therewith or incidental thereto.
Enrich Your Learning:
National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC):
- The National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) was established by an Act of Parliament in 1963 as a statutory Corporation under the Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare.
- Planning, promoting and financing programmes for production, processing, marketing, storage, export and import of agricultural produce, food stuffs, certain other notified commodities e.g. fertilisers, insecticides, agricultural machinery, lac, soap, kerosene oil, textile, rubber etc., supply of consumer goods and collection, processing, marketing, storage and export of minor forest produce through cooperatives, besides income generating stream of activities such as poultry, dairy, fishery, sericulture, handloom etc.
- NCDC will now be able to finance projects in the rural industrial cooperative sectors and for certain notified services in rural areas like water conservation, irrigation and micro irrigation, agri-insurance, agro-credit, rural sanitation, animal health, etc.
- Loans and grants are advanced to State Governments for financing primary and secondary level cooperative societies and direct to the national level and other societies having objects extending beyond one State.
- The Corporation can also go in for direct funding of projects under its various schemes of assistance on fulfilment of stipulated conditions.
- The Management vests in 51 member widely represented General Council to give shape to its policies and programmes and Board of Management with 12 members to cater to day-to-day activities.
- Besides its Head Office, NCDC functions through 18 Regional/State Directorates.
- The Managing Director is the Chief Executive.
- NCDC is endowed with in-house technical and managerial capabilities in the areas of Cooperation, Organisation & Methods, Financial Management, Management Information Systems, Sugar, Oilseeds, Textiles, Fruits & Vegetables, Dairy, Poultry and Livestock, Fishery, Handlooms, Civil Engineering, Refrigeration and Preservation to help cooperatives to identify/formulate projects and successfully implement them.
- Sources of Funds of NCDC includes internal accruals, market borrowings and allocations from Government of India including International assistance.