- The KALIA scheme will provide financial, livelihood, cultivation support along with insurance support to small, marginal and the landless farmers by the government of Odisha.
Enrich Your Learning:
KALIA (Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation) scheme:
- The government of Odisha has launched the KALIA scheme, which would benefit about 92% of the farmers in the State.
- KALIA scheme is a package for farmers’ welfare. KALIA stands for “Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation”.
- This scheme has been launched to accelerate agricultural prosperity and elimination of poverty.
- The scheme will provide financial, livelihood, cultivation support along with insurance support to small, marginal and the landless farmers.
- The farmers will get their entitlement of ₹5,000 under KALIA for purchase of seeds, fertilizers and insecticides twice a year — once for kharif season and for rabi season.
- This scheme has come into effect from the ongoing (2018-19) Rabi season.
- All small and marginal farmers along with landless agricultural households, vulnerable agricultural household, landless agricultural labourers and sharecroppers/actual cultivators are eligible under different components of KALIA.
- Small and marginal farmers: Financial aid of Rs. 25,000 per farm family over five seasons will be provided to small and marginal farmers so that they can purchase seeds, fertilizers, pesticides and use assistance towards labour.
- Landless agricultural household: Financial assistance of Rs 12500/ will be provided to each landless agricultural household for agricultural allied activities such as goat rearing, small layer poultry units, duckery units, fishery kits for fishermen, mushroom cultivation, bee-keeping and so on.
- Vulnerable cultivators/landless agricultural laborers: The vulnerable cultivators/landless agricultural laborers will get financial assistance of Rs 10,000 per family per year to enable them to take care of their sustenance.
- The cultivator/landless agricultural laborers who are in old age, having disability/ disease and are vulnerable for any other reason will benefit from the scheme. Five lakh families will be covered every year.
- Life Insurance Support to cultivators and Landless agricultural labourers as well as the interest free crop loan component are meant for all category of beneficiary under KALIA scheme.
The KALIA scheme includes a life insurance cover of Rs 2 lakh and additional personal accident coverage of the same amount for 57 lakh households. Crop loans up to Rs 50,000 are interest-free.