- The Ministry of Finance, Government of India had set up a dedicated fund called Nirbhaya Fund in 2013, for implementation of initiatives aimed at enhancing the safety and security for women in the country.
Enrich Your Learning:
More about the Nirbhaya Fund:
- It is a non-lapsable corpus fund.
- Ministry of Women and Child Development is the nodal Ministry to appraise schemes under Nirbhaya Fund and also to review and monitor the progress of sanctioned Schemes in conjunction with the line Ministries/Departments.
- The cost of projects/schemes of the State Government will be shared in the ratio of 60:40 (as per guidelines of Ministry of Finance) under Nirbhaya fund.
Schemes of Ministry of Women and Child Development under Nirbhaya Fund:
- Keeping in mind the need to have schematic interventions and proper mechanism for handholding of women in distress, 3 schemes i.e. ‘One Stop Centre’, ‘Universalisation of Women Helpline’ and ‘Mahila Police Volunteer’ were initiated by the Ministry of Women and Child Development from the Nirbhaya Fund.