National Sample Survey Office operates under Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of India.
About the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO):
- NSSO is headed by a Director General who is responsible for conduct of large scale sample surveys in diverse fields on All India basis.
- It is under the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation which has been regularly conducting nation-wide surveys on various socio-economic subjects.
- Results of these surveys are used for planning, policy formulation and decision making.
- Primarily data are collected through nation-wide household surveys on various socioeconomic subjects, Annual Survey of Industries (ASI), etc.
- Besides these surveys, NSSO collects data on rural and urban prices and plays a significant role in the improvement of crop statistics through supervision of the area enumeration and crop estimation surveys of the State agencies.
- It also maintains a frame of urban area units for use in sample surveys in urban areas.
It has four divisions:
- Survey Design and Research Division (SDRD) – Kolkata
- Field Operations Division (FOD) – New Delhi
- Data Processing Division (DPD) – Kolkata
- Co-ordination and Publication Division (CPD) – New Delhi