Answer & Enrich Your Learning:
The duties of Panchayat Secretary can broadly be categorized into three stages:
(1) Pre-Gram Sabha, (2) During Gram Sabha, and (3) Post Gram Sabha.
The Pre-Gram Sabha duties of Panchayat Secretary include:
- Finalization of agenda for Gram Sabha in consultation with the Sarpanch.
- Issuing notice of Gram Sabha meeting.
- Publishing widely the Gram Sabha meeting details, such as the date ,time and venue.
- Preparing the Action Taken Report on the resolutions of the previous Gram Sabha meeting.
- Preparation of notes on the agenda items to be placed before the current Gram Sabha meeting.
- Providing proper seating, drinking water facilities and sanitation facilities for people attending the Gram Sabha meeting.
Duties of Panchayat Secretary during the conduct of Gram Sabha include:
- Recording the details of members attending the meeting of Gram Sabha.
- Presenting the Action Taken Report on resolutions of previous Gram Sabha meeting.
- Ensuring the smooth conduct of the meeting of Gram Sabha as per its Agenda.
- Assisting the Sarpanch in recording the minutes of Gram Sabha.
- Recording of votes casted in favor/against of any resolution placed before Gram Sabha
Post Gram Sabha duties of Panchayat Secretary include:
- To coordinate with the Sarpanch and ward members for considering the resolutions of Gram Sabha in Gram Panchayat meetings.
- To send report on the Gram Sabha meeting to the higher officials concerned.