Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation program, better known as SVEEP, is the flagship program of the Election Commission of India.
Enrich Your Learning:
Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation program (SVEEP):
- Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation program, better known as SVEEP, is the flagship program of the Election Commission of India for voter education, spreading voter awareness and promoting voter literacy in India.
- Since 2009, we have been working towards preparing India’s electors and equipping them with basic knowledge related to the electoral process.
- SVEEP’s primary goal is to build a truly participative democracy in India by encouraging all eligible citizens to vote and make an informed decision during the elections.
- The programme is based on multiple general as well as targeted interventions which are designed according to the socio-economic, cultural and demographic profile of the state as well as the history of electoral participation in previous rounds of elections and learning thereof.
- It aims to build a stronger democracy through greater synergy with Civil Society Organisations, Media and Corporate Houses and even greater queries, suggestions, and participation from individuals.
State and District level SVEEP plans:
- ECI also initiated some internal organizational changes in the state level and constituted state and district level core groups to coordinate and implement all SVEEP activities. The State Level Plans and District Level Plans are to be formulated for the whole year with intense sub plans for election period. The plans are to be in conformity with national framework, laid out by the Commission, but allowing for due flexibility and credibility at every level.
- The Election Commission collaborated with educational institutions and youth organizations like NYKS, NSS, NCC to particularly tap the new voters in the age group of 18-19yrs, promote greater awareness amongst youth and students about electoral process and to seek their assistance in facilitating voter registration.