Enrich Your Learning:
Examples of High Explosives:
- Straight Dynamite:
- This dynamite is the most sensitive of all commercial explosives. The weight strength is the actual percentage of nitroglycerin in the cartridge. This explosive has poor fumes, good water resistance, and poor cohesion.
- It has velocities between 10,000 and 20,000 feet per second.
- Absorbents are used in dynamite to hold the explosive base from exudation, seepage, and settlement to the bottom of the cartridge or container. Nitroglycerine in is used as a absorbent in this dynamite.
- Ammonia Dynamite:
- This is similar to straight dynamite except that ammonium and/or sodium nitrate and various carbonaceous fuels are substituted for a portion of the Nitroglycerin.
There are three subclasses of ammonia dynamite:
- High Density: This product has a detonation velocity of 8000 to 13,000 feet per second, good water resistance, and fair to good fumes.
- Low Density: This product has detonation velocities between 7,000 and 11,000 feet per second, fair to good fumes and fair to poor water resistance.
- Permissible Types: These products are similar to the low- density ammonia dynamites except that they contain cooling salts such as sodium chloride. Permissibles must be approved by the U.S. Bureau of Mines under specified conditions of usage. This material usually has good fumes and fair to poor water resistance.
- Gelatin Dynamite:
- Contains nitroglycerin gelled with nitrocellulose, and various absorbent filler materials. Forms a soupy to rubber-like mixture which is water-resistant.
- It Has a detonation velocity of 13,000 to 23,000 feet per second. Varieties with strength rating above 60 percent have poor fume characteristics. Water resistance is excellent and material is very cohesive.
Ammonia or Special Gelatins:
- Similar in composition to straight gelatin except that some of the nitroglycerin is replaced with ammonium and sodium nitrates and carbonaceous fuels. Has a detonation velocity between 10,000 and 23,000 feet per second. Water resistance is good.
- Semi-gelatin Dynamite:
- A combination of ammonia gelatin and ammonia dynamite, with lower strength than gelatin, yet has good water resistance. Velocities between 10,000 and 15,000 feet per second. Fume rating is good.