- Article 47 relates with the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 2.
About Article 47:
- Article 47 of The Constitution of India is one of the Directive Principles (Part IV).
- It directs the State to raise the level of nutrition and the standard of living and to improve public health as among its primary duties.
- The State shall endeavour to bring about prohibition of intoxicating drinks and drugs which are injurious to health.
About Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 2:
- The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a good collection of 17 global goals set by the United Nations in 2015.
- SDG 2 states about Zero Hunger.
- It states that End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
- It aims to end hunger and all forms of malnutrition by 2030.
- It also commits to universal access to safe, nutritious and sufficient food at all times of the year.
- It can be accomplished by doubling agricultural productivity and incomes of small-scale food producers, by ensuring sustainable food production systems, and by progressively improving land and soil quality.
- Other targets deal with maintaining genetic diversity of seeds, increasing access to land, preventing trade restriction and distortions in world agricultural markets to limit extreme food price volatility, eliminating waste with help from the International Food Waste Coalition, and ending malnutrition and undernutrition of children.
- A report by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) of 2013 stated that the emphasis of the SDGs should not be on ending poverty by 2030, but on eliminating hunger and under-nutrition by 2025.
Sustainable Development Goals:
- End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- End hunger achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts*
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development