- Institution of Eminence (IoE) status is accorded to both public and private institutes.
About Institution of Eminence (IoE) status:
- The University Grants Commission (UGC), under Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) grants Institutions of Eminence (IoE) status to public and private institutes.
- The move is part of a scheme of the ministry to select 20 IoEs, 10 public and 10 private, in an initiative aimed at creating world-class colleges in India.
- The IoE status is being given for the sole purpose of being a university that can be a world class one in the years to come.
- It thus, gives them autonomy in a range of activities and, funds for public universities.
- IoEs will get greater autonomy to start new courses, admit foreign students, hire foreign faculty, and collaborate with foreign institutions without government approval.
- The public universities will get Rs 1,000 crore each for the next 10 years.
- Private institutes will not be eligible for government funding but, like the public IoEs, they will enjoy academic and administrative autonomy.
- IoE status will ensure that the regulatory oversight is eased for such universities to pursue excellence.
- This will enable them to be free from regulations of the AICTE, UGC, or the Higher Education Commission of India that is set to replace the UGC.
- Former chief election commissioner N Gopalaswami is the chairperson of the empowered expert committee (EEC) created to select the institutes.
- These institutions will be permitted to admit 30% foreign students with no restrictions on fees charged from them, hire foreign faculty to the tune of 25% of the total faculty and enter into academic collaborations with the top 500 global universities without UGC approval.
- They will also have full flexibility in evolving curricula and syllabi.
What is the need?
- No University in India is well funded.
- Even the research is rare.
- Universities in India are largely teaching shops judged on creating glorified clerk’s and not entrepreneurship, researchers and creators. It just creates consumers.
The parameters for setting up Greenfield institutions:
They are issued by HRD:
- Availability of land for construction of the institution
- Putting in place a core team with very high qualification and wide experience
- Making available funding for setting up the institution
- A strategic vision plan with clear annual milestones and action plan