Agnes Kharshiing who works for the rights of the poor, women, children and the disadvantaged in the region where she lives received the 11th International Hrant Dink Award, 2019.
Enrich Your Learning:
International Hrant Dink Award
- The International Hrant Dink Award has been granted every year since 2009 on September 15th, which is the birthday of Hrant Dink.
- International Hrant Dink Award is presented every year to individuals, organizations or groups that work for a free and just world free from discrimination, racism and violence, who take personal risks for achieving those ideals, who break the stereotypes and use the language of peace and by doing so give inspiration and hope to others.
- Aim for giving this award is to remind to all those who struggle for these ideals that their voices are heard, their works are visible, they are not alone, and also to encourage everyone to fight for their ideals.
- Each year the award is granted to two individuals; one from Turkey and one from
- The name of the award winners is announced to the public during the award ceremony under the title of “Sparks” or “Inspirations”.
11th International Hrant Dink Award
- The eleventh International Hrant Dink Award was presented on September 15th, 2019 with a ceremony held at the Istanbul Lütfi Kırdar International Convention and Exhibition Centre.
- This year’s awards were granted to:
- Nebahat Akkoç, who works tirelessly to raise awareness among women on women’s human rights and opposes male violence.
- Agnes Kharshiing from India who defends the rights of the poor, women, children and the disadvantaged in the region where she lives and also struggles for environmental rights.
- As part of the ceremony, the people and organizations from Turkey and from around the world, who raise hope for the future with their actions were saluted with the video ‘Inspirations 2019’.