Answer & Enrich Your Learning:
- On January 07, 2011 the Indian Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) released for the first time, an Island Protection Zone Notification (IPZ), 2011 to cover Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep.
- For the four islands namely, North Andaman, Middle Andaman, South Andaman and Great Nicobar, the Notification applies to areas within 500 metres from the High Tide Line along the seafront, while for all other islands and Lakshadweep islands, the entire geographical area, including the water area up to 12 nautical miles falls within purview of the Notification.
- New provisions included easing floor area ratio (FAR) in coastal urban areas and slashing the NDZ in densely populated coastal rural areas to 50 metres from HTL.
- It also includes No Development Zone (NDZ) of 20 meters for all Islands.
Objective of Protection Zone Notification (IPZ), 2011:
- Protection of livelihoods of traditional fisher folk communities
- Preservation of coastal ecology;
- Promotion of economic activity that have necessarily to be located in coastal regions.
Under this notification, the coastal areas of Andaman and Nicobar Islands is classified as:
- ICRZ-I: The areas that are ecologically sensitive and the area between Low Tide Line and High Tide Line.
- ICRZ-II: The areas that have been developed up to or close to the shoreline.
- ICRZ-III: Areas that are relatively undisturbed and areas which are not substantially built up. Such as rural areas and also areas within municipal limits.
- ICRZ-IV: The water area from the Low Tide Line to 12 nautical miles and tidal influenced water area
Why is a separate Island Protection Zone Notification, 2011 required?
- The geographical areas of Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadweep islands are so small that in most of the cases the 500 metres Coastal Regulation Zone regulations overlap.
- Hence, a separate Notification is being issued which takes into account the management of the entire island (except for four islands of A&N which include North Andaman, Middle Andaman, South Andaman and Great Nicobar).