Answer: United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and International Nitrogen Initiative (INI) have launched the project with funding from Global Environmental Facility (GEF).
Enrich Your Learning:
International Nitrogen Management System (INMS)
- It is a 6M USD project of the UNEP and the International Nitrogen Initiative (INI) and funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF).
- It was established to bring scientific evidence together to inform policies and the public on the multiple benefits and threats of reactive nitrogen.
- It is developing a process that will provide scientific support for international policy development related to nitrogen management.
- ‘Towards INMS’ will develop the evidence base to showcase the need for effective practices for global nitrogen management and highlight options to maximize the multiple benefits of better nitrogen use.
International Nitrogen Initiative (INI)
- The International Nitrogen Initiative (INI) is an international program, set up in 2003 under sponsorship of the Scientific Committee on Problems of the Environment (SCOPE) and from the International Geosphere-Biosphere Program (IGBP).
- The program is currently a sustained partner of Future Earth.
The key aims of the INI are to:
- optimize nitrogen’s beneficial role in sustainable food production, and
- minimize nitrogen’s negative effects on human health and the environment resulting from food and energy production.