- Why in news?
- Location of Thailand
- India- Thai Political Relations
- Military and security relations
- Economic and Commercial Relations
- Cultural Relations
- Connections by Tourism
- Indian Diaspora in Thailand
- Results of Relations
- Way Ahead
For IASToppers Mains Articles Archive, Click Here
GS (M) Paper-2: “India and its neighbourhood- relations.”
Why in news?
- It touched the hearts and souls of Thai people when the Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi paid his respects to the late king Bhumibol Adulyadej in Bangkok last year.
- Somewhat similar thing happened when HRH princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn came to India on her 17th visit to receive the Padma Bhushan from President Pranab Mukharjee.
- Both the countries are trying to continue the sustainable and economic growth for their people on the basis of initiatives like Make in India and Thailand 4.0.
- Both are complementing each other for a win-win partnership.
- On the occasion of 25th anniversary of ASEAN- India relations, the leaders of the 10 ASEAN member states are invited to visit India for the Republic day celebration on 26th January 2018.
Location of Thailand
India- Thai Political Relations
- The political relations between two countries are friendly.
- Both the Prime Ministers exchanged the visits of each other’s countries.
- Thailand and India openly took the challenge against terrorism, narcotics and transnational organised crime.
Military and security relations
- Military and security relations of both the countries are constructive and mutually beneficial, covering the land, sea and air dimensions.
- India and Thailand jointly exercises patrols near the international boundary to counter terrorism, piracy and smuggling.
- Officers of both the countries take training at each others’ Armed Forces Training Institutions.
- They talk and exchange trainee visits at various levels.
Economic and Commercial Relations
- Investment by Indian and Thai companies into each others’ countries is growing. Indian FDI into Thailand is estimated to be around USD 2.00 billion since 1970s.
- The major Indian groups doing business in Thailand are Tata Group, Aditya Birla Group, Indo Rama Group, Ranbaxy, Dabur, Lupin, Bharti Airtel, NIIT, Punj-Lloyd, Kirloskar, Mahindra-Satyam, etc. These groups are reflecting the diverse sectors of interest. Among public sectors, Indian Overseas Bank, Bank of Baroda, Air India, New India Assurance etc are there.
- Thai companies in the fields of Agro- processing, infrastructure, automotive, engineering, banking, housing and hospitality have active and growing business in India.
- The two governments exchange their cultures under the framework of Cultural Exchange Programme (CEP).
- An Indian Cultural centre was opened in Bangkok in September 2009.
- A number of India Studies centre are operational in Thai Universities.
Connections by Tourism
- Air connectivity between the two countries is growing around 140 flights per week.
- Bangkok is connected by air with 9 Indian destinations.
- India-Thailand are cooperating closely on improving regional connectivity through initiatives like India-Myanmar-Thailand trilateral highway.
- About 1.2 million Indians visiting Thailand every year.
- The number of Thai tourists in India is around 45,000.
Indian Diaspora in Thailand
- As per one estimation around 100,000-150,000 people of Indian origin are residing in Thailand.
- Majority of them have Thai nationality.
- Two persons from Thailand have been awarded the Pravasi Samman in 2006 and 2010.
Results of Relations
- The ASEAN community of 625 million people is on the rise and is a worthy counterpart for the Indian market of 1.3 billion people. Thailand is working hard to link these two markets through India’s North eastern region and Cambodia, Lao PDR and Myanmar.
- Thailand, set in the context of ASEAN, APEC, BIMSTEC, IORA, ACD and being well-established on global value chains, holds the great opportunities for India especially in manufacturing and services.
- New initiatives like Eastern Economic Corridor offer opportunities in the areas of next generation automotive, aviation, smart electronics, robotics, digital economy, health care, biotech, bio fuel and bio chemicals.
Relationship of 70 years brought so many opportunities till date. The initiatives of both the countries bring growth to their people. In future, the relationship between these two countries shows the greatness of each other in almost all the fields. People of both the countries will find something new and fruitful from each other.