Enrich Your Learning:
Provisions adapted from constitutions of different countries by India:
- First Past the Post
- Parliamentary Form of Government
- The idea of the rule of law
- Institution of the Speaker and her/his role
- Law-making procedure
- Single citizenship, cabinet system, prerogative writs, parliamentary privileges and bicameralism.
- Directive Principles of State Policy
- Nomination of members to Rajya Sabha and method of election of president
- Republic and the ideals of liberty, equality and fraternity in the Preamble.
United States Constitution
- Charter of Fundamental Rights
- Power of Judicial Review and independence of the judiciary
- Impeachment of the president, removal of Supreme Court and high court judges and post of vice-president.
- A quasi-federal form of government (a federal system with a strong central government)
- Appointment of state governors by the Centre, and advisory jurisdiction of the Supreme Court
Government of India Act of 1935
- Federal Scheme, Office of governor, Judiciary, Public Service Commissions, Emergency provisions and administrative details.
- Concurrent List, freedom of trade, commerce and intercourse, and joint sitting of the two Houses of Parliament
Weimar Constitution of Germany
- Suspension of Fundamental Rights during Emergency.
Soviet Constitution (USSR, now Russia)
- Fundamental duties and the ideal of justice (social, economic and political) in the Preamble.
South African Constitution
- Procedure for amendment of the Constitution and election of members of Rajya Sabha.
Procedure established by Law