Recently launched Operation Greens aims to stabilise the supply of Tomato, Onion and Potato (TOP) crops and ensure availability of TOP crops round the year without price volatility.
Enrich your learning:
Tomato-Onion-Potato(TOP) crops face extreme price volatility. The government has two objectives ensuring remunerative prices for farmers and affordable prices to consumers.
- India has total of 8000 plus cold storages and 90% are used for storing potatoes.
- Heavy rains affecting production of vegetables like tomatoes in major producing states like Maharashtra and Karnataka.
- TOP crops are traded in APMC markets. Intermediaries affecting farmers’ remuneration.
- Problem of collusion by traders.
A scheme launched on the line of Operation Flood. Aimed to stabilise the supply of Tomato, Onion and Potato (TOP) crops and ensure availability of TOP crops round the year without price volatility.
Launched by Ministry of Food Processing Industries(MoFPI). NAFED will be the Nodal Agency to implement price stabilisation measures.
- Short term Price Stabilisation Measures: MoFPI will provide 50% of the subsidy on the following two components:
- Transportation of Tomato Onion Potato(TOP) Crops from production to storage;
- Hiring of appropriate storage facilities for TOP Crops;
- Long Term Integrated value chain development projects
- Capacity Building of FPOs & their consortium
- Quality production
- Post-harvest processing facilities
- Marketing / Consumption Points
- Creation and Management of e-platform for demand and supply management of TOP Crops.
Eligible Organisation would include State Agriculture and other Marketing Federations, Farmer Producer Organizations (FPO), cooperatives, companies, Self-help groups, food processors, logistic operators, service providers, supply chain operators, retail and wholesale chains and central and state governments and their entities/organizations will be eligible to participate in the programme and to avail financial assistance.
The pattern of assistance will comprise of grants-in-aid at the rate of 50% of the eligible project cost in all areas, subject to maximum Rs. 50 crores per project