Sangeet Natya academy, the national academy of performing arts, has recognized eight traditional dances as Indian classical dances. These dances have roots in the Sanskrit text Natya Shastra, and the religious performance arts of Hinduism.
Enrich Your Learning:
List of Classical Dances in India:
Northern and Western India
- The Natya Shastra is a Sanskrit textand detailed treatise on the dramatic and performing arts.
- The text is attributed to sage Bharata Muni,and is dated to between 200 BC and 200 AD.
- It is revered as the fifth Vedaas it has been evolved by taking words from the Rigveda, music from the Samaveda, gestures from the Yajurveda and emotions from the Atharvaveda.
Sangeet Natya Academy:
- Sangeet Natak Akademi (The National Academy of Music, Dance and Drama) is the national level academy for performing artsset up by the Government of India.
- It was set up by the Indian education ministry on 31 May 1952.
- The academy functions as the apex body of the performing arts in the country to preserve and promote the vast cultural heritage of India expressed in music, dance and drama.
- It is the nodal agency of the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of Indiaand coordinates the matters related to Intangible Cultural Heritage and various UNESCO Conventions addressing Cultural Diversity and promotion and dissemination of cultural traditions and expressions of the country.