NGC is a cadre of young children working towards environmental conservation and sustainable development.
Enrich Your Learning:
Why in news?
The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) organized an annual meeting of state nodal agencies implementing the Ecoclub programme for the first time in collaboration with GEER foundation, Gujarat.
National Green Corps ‘Ecoclub’:
- With a view of creating environmental awareness among children, National Green Corps (NGC) was formulated by Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) in 2001-02.
- NGC Programme aims at building cadres of young children working towards environmental conservation and sustainable development.
- It is operated through Eco-clubs set up in schools registered as members of NGC, this programme exposes school children to in-depth field experiences, and provides opportunities to convert their ideas into creative action.
- There has been a network of more than 1,00,000 Eco clubs across the country in 16 years, making it one of the largest conservation networks.
- The unique partnership between the MoEFCC, the states Government agencies along with the dedicated NGOs, working in the field of Environmental Education has contributed to the success of the programme.
Objectives of this programme:
- To impart knowledge to school children, through hands on experience, about their immediate environment, interactions within it and the problems therein
- To inculcate proper attitudes towards the environment and its conservation through community interactions
- To sensitize children to issues related to environment and development through field visits and demonstrations
- To motivate and stimulate young minds by involving them in action projects related to environmental conservation.