- It has been tasked with monitoring the ceasefire lineor tasked with monitoring the ceasefire line between nuclear-armed India and Pakistan in Jammu and Kashmir.
Enrich Your Learning:
UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP):
- UNMOGIP has been established by UN Security Council(UNSC) Resolution and started its operations in 1949.
- It has been tasked with monitoring the ceasefire line between India and Pakistan in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The group is financed by the United Nations regular budget.
- The group, based in Rawalpindi, is composed of 43 military observers and 23 international civilian personnel.
United Nations Security Council Resolution 47:
- Resolution 47 of the UNSC focuses on the complaint of India concerning the dispute over the State of Jammu and Kashmir.
- It took to the Security Council in 1948 by India.
Who were the UNSC members who oversaw the issue?
- The UN Security Council increased the size of the investigating council established by UNSC Resolution 39to include six members along with permanent members of the UNSC.
- Along with the five permanent members, China, France, UK, US & Russia, non-permanent members included Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Colombia, Syria and the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic.
What was the recommendations of UNSC resolution 47?
The Resolution recommended a three-step process for the resolution of the dispute.
- In the first step, Pakistan was asked to withdraw all its nationals from Kashmir.
- In the second step, India was asked to progressively reduce its forces to the minimum levelrequired for law and order.
- In the third step, India was asked to appoint a plebiscite administratornominated by the United Nations who would conduct a plebiscite [a free and impartial voting to know the people’s desire about J&K merger (with India or Pakistan)].