Jal Jeevan Mission focusses on providing piped water supply to all households in rural India.
Enrich Your Learning:
Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM)
- Implemented by Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- The mission’s goal is to provide to all households in rural India safe and adequate water through individual household tap connections by 2024.
The following kinds of works/ schemes are proposed to be taken up under JJM:
- In-village water supply (PWS) infrastructure for tap water connection to every household.
- Reliable drinking water source development/ augmentation of existing sources.
- Transfer of water (multi-village scheme; where quantity & quality issues are there in the
local water sources).
- Technological intervention for treatment to make water potable (where water quality is an
issue, but quantity is sufficient).
- Retrofitting of completed and ongoing piped water supply schemes to provide Functional Household Tap Connection and raise the service level.
- Grey water management.
- Capacity building of various stakeholders and support activities to facilitate the implementation.
Funding: Total estimated cost of JJM is Rs. 3.60 Lakh Crore.
The fund sharing pattern between Centre and State is 90:10 for Himalayan (Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh) and North-Eastern States, 100:0 for UTs and 50:50 for rest of the States.