Mekong–Ganga Cooperation initiative was launched by India and five ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) countries including Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam.
Enrich Your Learning:
Mekong–Ganga Cooperation (MGC):
- Mekong-Ganga Cooperation is an initiative by six countries – India and five ASEAN countries for cooperation in tourism, culture, education, as well as transport and communications.
- The initiative was launched in 2000 at Vientiane, Lao PDR.
- MGC initiative aims to facilitate closer contacts among the people inhabiting these two major river basins.
- It is also indicative of the cultural and commercial linkages among the member countries of the MGC down the centuries.
- The initiative also includes the MGC Asian Traditional Textile Museum (MGC ATTM) in Siem Reap, Cambodia and the Common Archival Resource Centre (CERC) at Nalanda University, Rajgir.
- India also offers a large number of scholarships for MGC countries.