‘O-SMART’ Scheme is launched by Ministry of Earth Sciences. The mission aims to harness various living and non-living (water, mineral and energy) resources from the seabed and deep water.
Enrich Your Learning:
Ocean Services, Technology, Observations, Resources Modelling and Science (O-SMART) Scheme
- It is an umbrella scheme which encompasses a total of 16 sub-projects addressing ocean development activities such as Services, Technology, Resources, Observations and Science.
- The scheme was launched on Ministry of Earth Sciences(MoES) foundation day.
- The implementation duration of the scheme is from 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- All the existing schemes are likely to be continued in a focused way as a part of umbrella scheme of (O-SMART).
- The mission will help India to harness various living and non-living(water, mineral and energy) resources from the seabed and deep water.
Components of the O-SMART scheme:
- Underwater robotics and ‘manned’ submersiblesare key components of the Mission.
- Other components include early warning systemsfor oceanic disasters, setting up marine coastal observatories for monitoring marine pollution and acquisition of coastal research vessels.
Important deliverables under the Scheme:
- Strengthening of Ocean Observations and Modelling
- Strengthening of Ocean Services for Fishermen
- Setting up Marine Coastal Observatories for monitoring marine pollution
- Setting up Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion Plant (OTEC) in Kavaratti
- Acquisition of 2 Coastal Research Vessels for Coastal research
- Continuation of Ocean Survey and Exploration of Minerals and Living Resources
- Technology Development for Deep Ocean Mining- Deep Mining System and Manned Submersibles
- Setting up Six Desalination Plants in Lakshadweep
- It will provide economic benefits to a number of user communities in the coastal and ocean sectors such as fisheries, offshore industry, coastal states, Defence, Shipping, and Ports etc.
- This will help in reducing the search time for fishermen resulting savings in the fuel cost.
- The scheme will help in addressing issues relating to Sustainable Development Goal-14, which aims to conserve use of oceans, marine resources for sustainable development.
- O-SMART also provide necessary scientific and technological backgroundrequired for implementation of various aspects of Blue Economy.
- State of Art Early Warning Systemsestablished under the Scheme will help in effectively dealing with ocean disasters like Tsunami, storm surges.
- Technologies developed under the scheme will help in harnessing the vast ocean resources of both living and non-living resources from the seas around India.