Answer: The new species of frog, named as ‘Microphyla eos’, was discovered recently discovered from Arunachal Pradesh.
Enrich Your Learning:
Why in News?
- Scientists have reported the discovery of a new species of frogfrom Arunachal Pradesh named ‘eos’, highlighting India’s amphibian diversity amid rising concerns over biodiversity loss.
About Microhyla eos:
- The new species is named ‘eos’, after the mythological Greek goddess of dawnas Arunachal Pradesh is also popularly known as the Land of the Rising Sun or the Land of Dawn-lit Mountains.
- It was discovered from riparian habitats in a primary evergreen forest in the Namdapha tiger
- It is described as the 50th member of the genus Microhyla, a group of narrow-mouthed frogs commonly known as RiceFrogs or Chorus Frogs, widely distributed in Asia.
- Microhyla eos strikingly differs from other narrow-mouthed Chorus frogs by its size, shape, and other morphological features.
- What the scientists found surprising about the newly discovered species is its evolutionary relationship. DNA analysis revealed that the closest relatives of Microhyla eos are in Southeast Asia rather than in India.