Answer & Enrich Your Learning:
Difference between Human Capital Index (HCI) [World Bank] and Human Development Index (HDI) [UNDP]
- The United Nation’s Human Development Indexis the benchmark which is the most widely used statistical measure of development across the world.
Human Development Index
Human Capital Index
Uses Life Expectancy at birth as a measure of health
Uses Survival and stunting rates at or below 5 years of age as a measure of health
Uses number of years of schooling to measure of education
Uses quality adjusted learning to measure education
Includes per capita income to measure development
Does not use per capita income to measure development
Inquiry Committees can be proposed by only Lok Sabha or can be appointed by the speaker. True OR False.
Correct Statement: Inquiry Committees can be proposed by either house or can also be appointed by the speaker/chairman of the respective house
Enrich Your Learning:
Ad hoc committees of the Parliament
- Ad hoc committees can be divided into two categories, that is, Inquiry Committeesand Advisory Committees.
- Inquiry Committees are constituted from time to time, either by the two Houses on a motion adopted in that behalf, or by the Speaker / Chairman, to inquire into and report on specific subjects.
- For example: Committee on the Conduct of Certain Members during President’s Address, Committee on Draft Five-Year Plan
- Advisory Committees include select or joint committees on bills, which are appointed to consider and report on particular bills.
- These committees are distinguishable from the other ad hoc committeesin as much as they are concerned with bills and the procedure to be followed by them is laid down in the Rules of Procedure and the Directions by the Speaker / Chairman.
- When a Bill comes up before a House for general discussion, it is open to that House to refer it to a Select Committee of the House or a Joint Committee of the two Houses.
- A motion to this effect has to be moved and adopted in the House in which the Bill comes up for consideration.
- In case the motion adopted is for referenceof the Bill to a Joint Committee, the decision is conveyed to the other House, requesting the members to nominate members of the other House to serve on the Committee.
- The Selector Joint Committee considers the Bill clause by clause just as the two Houses do.
- Amendments to various clausescan be moved by members of the Committee.
- The Committee can also take evidence of associations, public bodies or experts who are interested in the Bill.
- After the Bill has thus been considered, the Committee submits its report to the House.
- Members who do not agree with the majority report may append their minutes of dissent to the report.