Issues related to Health & Education
- Second edition of Eat Right Mela
[Note: Today’s PIB Daily News are already covered in Today’s Current Affairs Analysis. This PIB News Analysis news are only for those who wants to get only PIB news]
For IASToppers Current Affairs Analysis Archive, Click Here
For IASToppers’ PIB Daily Archive, Click Here
Issues related to Health & Education
Second edition of Eat Right Mela
Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare inaugurated the second edition of the ‘Eat Right Mela’ in Delhi.
- On the sidelines, the Union Health Minister has launched NetSCoFAN, a network of research & academic institutions working in the area of food & nutrition.
- The Union Minister also launched ‘The PURPLE Book’ which is a handbook on diets for diseases.
EAT RIGHT MELA:
- The Eat Right Mela is an initiative of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), an autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.
- The aim is to engage and enable citizens to improve their health and well-being by making the right food choices and reducing diseases burden in the country.
- The Movement is an effort to bring together the flagship programmes of the government, like Poshan Abhiyan, Ayushman Bharat, Swachh Bharat Abhiyan and Anaemia-Mukt Bharat.
- The first Eat Right Mela was launched in New Delhi in December, 2018.
EAT RIGHT INITIATIVE:
- Eat Right Initiative is a multi-sectoral effort of government with primary focus on reducing the daily intake – of salt, sugar, fat and phasing-out trans-fats from diets and promoting healthier food options.
- It is built on two broad pillars of Eat Healthy and Eat Safe.
- On World Food Day 2019, Union Minister of Health launched Food Safety Mitra (FSM) scheme for strengthening and scaling up ‘Eat Right India’ movement. He also launched ‘Eat Right Jacket’ and ‘Eat Right Jhola’.
- To increase demand for healthier food,
- Set standards in schools, promote healthy eating habits,
- Have appropriate nutrition labelling and restriction on marketing to children through a suitable regulation,
- Have higher taxation for unhealthy food through differential GST rates,
- Ensure availability of healthier food options through appropriate menu labelling,
- Redesign choices available with increased availability and prominent display of healthier options,
- Encourage food processing industry to formulate their food products by reducing unhealthy ingredients.
- The movement is significant as there is a need to increase awareness on preventive health for all regarding increasing diseases burden like hypertension, diabetes, cancer etc.
- To address Obesity and Life style diseases which is apparently the result of excessive consumption of junk food, wrong choices of food, overeating and lack of exercise.
- It also aims to reduce increasing burden of non-communicable diseases like hypertension, diabetes, and undernourishment resulting in infirmities such as wasting and stunting and widespread deficiencies in vitamins and minerals.
WHAT IS NETSCOFAN?
- It would comprise of eight groups of institutions working in different areas viz. biological, chemical, nutrition & labelling, food of animal origin, food of plant origin, water & beverages, food testing, and safer & sustainable packaging.
- FSSAI has identified eight Nodal Institutions who would develop a ‘Ready Reckoner’ that will have inventory of all research work, experts and institutions and would carry out and facilitate research, survey and related activities.
- It would identify research gaps in respective areas and collect, collate and develop database on food safety issues for risk assessment activities.
- The need for identify research gaps in respective areas and collect, collate and develop database on food safety issues for risk assessment activities, will be addressed by NetSCoFAN.