- The Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative was proposed by India.
Enrich Your Learning:
Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative
The Prime Minister proposed the idea Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative at the East Asia Summit in Thailand.
- The main objective of the initiative is to achieve safe, secure and a stable maritime domain.
- The Focus areas include creating partnerships among interested states in Enhancing maritime security; Sustainably using marine resources; Disaster prevention & management.
- India will organize an Indo-Pacific Conclave in Chennai early next year, to take the initiative forward.
- The initiative is considered by the experts as an incremental step to the Shangri la dialogue.
- Japan, Australia and Thailand support the initiative already.
Significance of the initiative
- Provide confidence to minor players of ASEAN.
- Ensure freedom of navigation and freedom of overflights.
- Resolving disputes as per international conventions.